Squires Lumber History

Established in 1946 by James Richardson and Roy Squires, Squires Lumber Company Inc. began as Richardson – Squires Lumber Company Inc. The now 12-acre business started in a tiny concrete building located on the corner of 9th and H Street — out of which hardware and lumber products were sold to local builders and homeowners.

In the 1950s, Roy Squires and his wife Mary took over the business, at which time Mary’s sister Peggy and husband Jack Jones came to California from Florida to help them grow. They continued to operate out of the original location until the mid 1960’s. A new 15,000 square foot retail operation was then built on adjacent property and still remains the main headquarters for Squires Lumber Company, Inc. We now operate out of multiple locations.

In 1989, Stan and Pam Paxson purchased Squires Lumber Company Inc. from Jack and Peggy (Pam’s parents) and began to take the business in a new direction. Stan has a business degree from the University of Southern California with emphasis in finance and marketing. He gained almost 20 years experience working for a Fortune 50 Corporation, specializing in building products.

Stan’s understanding of marketing, customer service, and team building has taken Squires Lumber Company Inc. to a much higher level. Currently, Squires Lumber Company Inc is a major supplier to contractors throughout the United States.

In 1998, C&K Custom Saw and Milling Inc. was established as a full-service milling and fabrication facility. This division of the company provides a wide range of products for several areas of construction. By having a full service milling facility on site, Squires Lumber Company Inc is able to better service customers with short lead times and quality control.

Chris and Kyle Paxson both grew up in the business and learned all aspects of the company from the ground up. Chris has a business degree from San Diego State University. Kyle has a business degree from Arizona State University. Together they participate on an Executive level in running sales, operations, and the financial side of the company.

Unfortunately, in 2012 Stan lost a battle with an aggressive form of kidney cancer. The Paxson family immediately formed the “Stanley G Paxson Family Foundation” to help raise funds for the City of Hope where Stan received his care.

The business has been family owned and operated since 1946. Pam Paxson, along with both Chris and Kyle, plan to continue this tradition into the future.